5.12.12

DEC/05/12 - Awesome-Alternative-Jingle-Kicks










Christmas in nigh!

Do you Love all this commotion, or do you hate it?

Humbug or Happybug?

What I want to know is: what does it do to/for theatres?

Around this time last year I wrote a blog on National Theatre Wales Community basically slagging off Christmas, Pantomimes and the fact that theatres are never more full than around this time of year, and almost how much of a shame that is. I'll admit, I've had a year to reflect and I think I was being a bit of a Scrooge. Yes I think it's a shame that theatres can't attract audiences as vast as a with a Christmas Cheer, but maybe each year the Panto comes it grows an audience who wouldn't typically visit the theatre, and if it doesn't, why doesn't it and what can we do about that?

 From a marketing and audience development point of view there are lots of things you could do to convert Paudiences (Panto-Audiences) into Raudiences (Regular-Audiences (these are all industry terms by the way :D)). I'll use The Riverfront Theatre, Newport as my example. Newport is a hard town to do a show in because the majority of it's population aren't theatre goers, I think it's as simple as that - with a bit of economics chucked in, but there is one time of year that the Riverfront is never fuller and that's Panto time!

Audiences young and old flock for an hour or two of camped-up-fun! The theatre becomes a vibrant place full of life and laughter.

I was talking to a guy on the train last Saturday and in explaining what I do he said he'd never been to the theatre, my go-to response was "Surely you've been to Pantomime", so I think it's a common idea that non-theatre-goers do go at least once a year.

My question is: Why can't this experience harbour something more substantial and long lasting? I think it's a concotion of many things (tradition, expectation and regularity, conveinence), but what if we could do some outreach to audiences during there experience at the theatre. The foyer should become alive with activity, opportunities, publicity, and (although I'm not always a fan) membership deals, maybe even a programme of the next years events tailored to a Panto-Audience, screens with exciting visuals of up-coming contemporary performance, but why stop there? Free cups of tea and candcanes, a bouncy castle, a snow machine, a "put-your-face-in-the-hole-picture-booth", craft stalls, carol singers, I don't know! I just think outreach and audience development are so vital in this current economic climate and perhaps it's time we start showing  audiences that Pantomime needn't be the only thing they see this year!

Robin Hood @ The Riverfront, Newport.

This year I will be seeking out some alternative Christmas entertainment, as I'd rather hack my arm off with a rusty chainsaw than sit through any kind of Pantomime - I'm a fucking snob and I don't care, maybe when I have kids I wont be... Although I'll be DAMNED if I'm taking my kids to a Pantomime! I'm joking... It's great... I love it... GO AND SEE ROBIN HOOD at The Riverfront, Newport! It's had amazing reviews after it's opening night, it has a great Welsh Cast, an amazing set and is not your typical Pantomime!

 Here are two show's I stumbled upon last night, and I'm tipping to be: AWESOME-ALTERNATIVE-JINGLE-KICKS for you to go and see this year! Hope I find more and let you know! I will be attending these.

AWESOME-ALTERNATIVE-JINGLE-KICKS

1.
Bryony Kimmings DIY Nativity @ The Junction, Cambridge.

Bryony Kimmings DIY Nativity
I've seen Bryony Kimmings thrice times now (twice in a Cabaret setting and once at Ed Fringe 2011 with the extremely awesome 7 Day Drunk) and I think not only is she a bundle of energy to watch, she makes amazing theatre which responds immediatly with it's audience and she's hilarious to boot. I have no idea why anyone ever considered allowing her to perform in front of children, but I'm sure it'll be a hoot for them what are young and old and middle aged.

LINKAGE

2.
A Curious Zoo @ Chapter Arts, Cardiff

Chapter Arts are pulling something out of the bag that sounds like a mix between a nightmare and a dream.
Caroline Sabin (a 7 year member of EarthFall and friends with friends Mr&Mrs Clark) has been making work in Cardiff for years, now this weirdly macabre quasi-Christmas show is being brought to you by her.

Caroline Sabin presents: A Curious Zoo
A Curious Zoo promises "a rich and magical snow filled environment with quiet beauty, stark and bloody imagery, warm tales, an angel, music, icicles and mince pies" and the whole thing happens (I think!) in Caroline's house. I don't know much about Caroline's work, but this looks and sounds far more awesome than Widow Twanky.

LINKAGE

Danke Schon for reading!

Justin

FURTHER LINKAGE:

CHAPTER ARTS, CARDIFF
http://www.chapter.org/

RIVERFRONT, NEWPORT
http://www.newport.gov.uk/theriverfront/

THE JUNCTION, CAMBRIDGE
http://www.junction.co.uk/

MY SYNICAL SCROOGESQUE NTW BLOG FROM YESTERYEAR
http://community.nationaltheatrewales.org/profiles/blogs/dame










No comments:

Post a Comment