15.1.13

Scratch Nights Galore


This is Tiger-Face, or at least the first embodiment of Tiger-Face that I can find a picture of.

Back in 2011 me and Tone dressed as Tiger and Safari Guard (respectively) and posed for photographs with kids for The Big Splash in Newport. It was the first time I was dressed in this ridiculous way and with this awesome face. The picture above is from when we did it again for Big Splash 2012 and George got involved as a Monkey, but I have no pictures of that.

Back to 2011. So I'd dressed in this way for the purpose of spreading joy and it unlocked something in my psyche. Later that year I went to Edinburgh Fringe with a very rough and ready one man show The Life and Times of Albert Lymes, and whilst trying to focus on Albert, I couldn't stop thinking about Tiger-Face, and about what Tiger-Face could be, should be and could do.

I take a lot of inspiration from anti-comedy; comedy that's hilarious because it's not funny, or is supposed to be funny because it's not funny, or whatever... Andy Kaufman would be my finest example of this.



So after a long obsession with Tiger-Face I have decided to take the plunge and experiment with this concept and idea and to make something of him, even if that thing is awful.

So this Thursday at Chapter Arts I will be Scratching a version of Tiger-Face for 5 of so minutes as part of The Forge (created by Catherine Paskell @Cpaskell). I don't know what will happen, I have no idea what it will become, but then again, that's what Scratch-Events are all about isn't it?

So if you want to see something that very well may fail (<--- Note: Setting myself up for failure with a sense of smarmy self confidence, the "lower the expectation game" etc) then come along to The Forge @ Chapter Arts Thursday 7.30pm there will be plenty of other stuff to see and comment on if you like! It cost a measly £3 and will definitely be worth it.

The Forge, Chapter Arts.
See more here: http://www.chapter.org/29038.html

Also, talking about Scratch-Events, Scratch That Itch (founded by Brent Morgan @dextartuk) has been holding Scratch Nights in Swansea for nigh on a year and has seen the bare-bones-makings of some awesome work that's being produced in Wales. I met with The Brentasauraus the other day and we've decided that Newport needs a chance to Scratch it's Itch.

Scratch That Itch!


Le Pub (@Lepub) will be hosting Newport's first Scratch That Itch event, supported by National Theatre Wales on the 21st February, you can find more info here: http://www.facebook.com/events/452989311427136/?fref=ts



So if you want to come and watch some stuff then please do get along to it...

But more importatanly...

If you've got an idea, it might be tiny, it might be perfectly formed, it might be stupid, or horrifying, or inspirational, it might make us all laugh, or make us all cry even if it's supposed to make us all laugh. Who cares?! I urge you to think about making steps towards showing some people that idea, and Scratch That Itch Newport might be the perfect time.

Be brave, be bold and let the idea loose.

Justin

Linkage below:

CHAPTER: THE FORGE:

http://www.chapter.org/29038.html

SCRATCH THAT ITCH: FACEBOOK GROUP:

http://www.facebook.com/events/452989311427136/

TWITTER:

@tinshedtheatre
@jusedcliffe
@Lepub
@Cpaskell
@dextartuk

No comments:

Post a Comment